Monday, November 03, 2008

Skins!

While everyone else in the country talks about the election and the future of our country and Proposition 8 and Rachel Maddow, I am going to continue talking about shit that doesn't matter. Story of my life.

This weekend, I had the privelege of hosting, among others, some real live Brits. Of course, I knew immiedetely what I wanted their take on.

Me: Hey, you know what I am LOVING that BBC America just brought to us here?
Brits: What? (Yes, this was in unison if memory serves me correctly)
Me: SKINS
Brits: Oh, bollocks. That show is complete rubbish. How can you watch that? It belongs in the bin with the scraps of bangers and mash, fish and chips and curry takeout. It's not fit. It's just like the OC except with more drugs and nudity.
Me: Um, that's exactly why I like it...

So there you have it. I am a simpleton. But if liking this pseudo-edgy drama with brilliantly balanced plot lines between an engaging and unique group of teenage characters makes me a simpleton, then I am ready to get my Forrest Gump on. We just got series one on BBC America, but they've filmed three with an all new cast (Degrassi style) and I cannot wait to see them all. Each episode involves the whole gang but focuses on one character, still seemlessly integrating the ensemble into the show. My favorite is Cassie. OMG!K?#WHO IS YOURS?>!OMG~!



BTW, to fulfill the educational requirements of this blog, SKINS is actually a slang term for rolling papers. I never inhaled, so I don't know whether or not Americans use this term for them or not.

Also, in case you were wondering, the Brits were able to confirm for us that Chris Martin is, in fact, not a national treasure.

3 comments:

Marissa Leigh said...

hahaha, i didnt know the oc was lacking in nudity and drugs... seemed like it had enough.

and when they said that about chris martin, it was the happiest moment of my life... we need to get that out there so i can stop bleeding from my ears every time i walk into a duane reade.

Anonymous said...

but he should be! (teresa)

Unknown said...

We can definitely agree that Skins is not lacking in drama!

My name is Liz & I am working with BBC video to help spread the word about the Skins: Volume 1 DVD release and thought you may be interested in some additional information about the show to share with your readers.

If you're interested, drop me a line!

-Liz
__________
Liz Teschler
American Pop
liz@americanpopinc.com